Manual Installation/Registration of Java Plug-inLinux
To install the Java Plug-in follow these steps.
- Only Mozilla can be registered with Java Plug-in.
- Only one Java Plug-in can be registered at a time. When you want to use a different version, unregister any other version and register the new one.
Suppose for JDK 5.0 you created a symbolic link in the Mozilla
cdto the Mozilla
pluginsdirectory and remove the link as shown below:
Also check that there are no links in the Mozilla
1. Uninstall any previous installations of Java Plug-in.
rm -fr $HOME/.netscape/java rm $HOME/.netscape/plugins/javaplugin.so rm $HOME/.netscape/plugins/libjavaplugin.so
One or more of these files may exist on your machine, depending on which previous versions of Java Plug-in you have installed.
2. For the Mozilla browser create a symbolic link to the Plug-in in the Mozilla
Create a symbolic link to the Java Plug-in
libjavaplugin.sofile in the Mozilla
ln -s <JRE>/plugin/i386/<ns7 | ns7-gcc29>/libjavaplugin_oji.so .
lncommand line above, use
ns7-gcc29if Mozilla was compiled with gcc2.9.
Be sure to include the period at the end.
3. Start the Mozilla browser , or restart it if it is already up.
Note that if you have other Mozilla "objects" open before restarting (Messenger, Composer ...) you will need to shut them down as well.
In Mozilla do Help -> About Plug-ins to confirm that the Java Plug-in is loaded.