Last Updated: 06/02/2006
1. A new event style notification.
2. Multi-Version Concurrency Control for the Btree/ Recno access methods.
3. A new replication framework with a default TCP/IP setup.
4. A new port to the BREW platform (a cell phone OS) , not fully supported but ready for testing.
5. Several enhancements to the Java Collections API including the implementation of the size() method.
6. Online replication upgrades for high availability replicated 24/7 systems.
1. Update the DB_ENV-> failchk method to garbage collect per-process mutexes stranded after unexpected process failure. [#13964]
2. Fix a bug that could cause memory used to track thread for DB_ENV-> failchk to not be reused when a thread no longer exists. [#14425]
3. Add set_event_notify behavior as part of new event notification in Berkeley DB. [#14534]
4. Fix a bug so that we no longer panic on DB_ENV-> close() if a previous environment close failed to log. This condition will now return an error. [#14693]
1. Fix a bug where renaming a subdatabase in a Concurrent Data Store environment could fail. [#14185]
1. Fix a bug that could cause extra unallocated pages to be at the end of a database file. [#14031]
2. Optimize secondary updates when overwriting primary records. [#14075]
3. Fix a bug to prevent a trap when creating a named in-memory database and there are already temporary files open. [#14133]
4. Fix a bug which caused a trap if the key parameter to DBC-> c_get was omitted with DB_CURRENT. [#14143]
5. Fix a bug with secondary cursors when the secondary has off-page duplicates. This bug resulted in incorrect primary data being returned. [#14240]
6. Fix a bug that would not properly upgrade database files from releases 3.2.9 (and earlier) to releases 4.0 (and greater). [#14461]
7. Fix a bug that could cause a DB_READ_UNCOMITTED get through a secondary index to return DB_SECONDARY_CORRUPT. [#14487]
8. Fix a bug so that non-transactional cursor updates of a transactional database will generate an error. [#14519]
9. Add a message when the system panics due to a page in the wrong state at its time of allocation. [#14527]
1. Fix a bug that could cause a diagnostic assertion by setting the deleted bit on a record in an internal node. [#13944]
2. Fix 3 problems in BTREE compaction: [#14238]
a. When deleting a page don’t check the next key in the parent if we are going to delete the parent too.
b. Need to check that the tree has not collapsed between dropping a read lock and getting the write lock. It is has collapsed we will fetch the root of the tree.
c. Fix a case where we fail to lock the next page before reading it.\
3. Fix a bug that could cause the compaction of a Btree with sorted duplicated to fail when attempting to compact an off page duplicate tree if a key could not fit in an internal node. [#14771]
4. Fix a bug that causes a loop if an empty Btree was compacted. [#14493]
1. Fix a bug that could cause corruption in queue extent files if multiple processes tried to open the same extent at the same time. [#14438]
1. Fix a bug that caused locks not maintained where queue records were read but not present in the queue at the end of a transaction, therefore violating serializability. [#13719]
1. C++ applications that check could the error code in exceptions should note that DbMemoryException has been changed to have the error code DB_BUFFER_SMALL rather than ENOMEM, to match the error returned by the C API. DbMemoryException will be thrown when a Dbt is too small to contain data returned by Berkeley DB. When a call to malloc fails, or some other resource is exhausted, a plain DbException will be thrown with error code set to ENOMEM. [#13939]
1. The com.sleepycat.collections package is now fully compatible with the Java Collections framework. [#14732]
1. Fix a bug so that internal init will remove client databases at the start of internal init. [#14147]
2. Fix a bug in replication internal init so that using data_dir will be handled correctly. Make internal init resilient to multiple data_dir calls with the same directory. [#14489]
3. Fix a bug in the 4.2 sync-up algorithm that could result in no open files. [#14552]
4. Fix a bug where a PERM bulk buffer could have a zero LSN passed to the application callback [#14675].
5. Change names of some existing replication API methods as described in “Replication Method Naming” page of “Upgrading Berkeley DB Applications to Release 4.5” section of Reference guide. [#14723]
6. Fix a bug which could cause an election to succeed only after waiting for the timeout to expire, even when all sties responded in a timely manner. The bug was most easily visible in an election between 2 sites. [#14752]
1. Fix a bug that could cause a writer to hang if readuncommitted is enabled and it tries to reacquire a write lock. [#14919]
1. Fix a bug so that log headers are now included in the check sum. This avoids a possible race in doing hot backups. [#11636].
2. Fix a bug where recovery fails if there is no disk space for the forced checkpoint that occurs at the end of processing the log. [#13986]
3. Fix a bug which could cause a page to be missing from the end of a database file if the page at the end of the file was freed while it contained data and the system was restarted prior to the log record for that free was flushed to disk. [#14090]
4. Fix a bug that could cause log files to be incorrectly removed by log_archive if it was run immediately after recovery. [#14874]
1. Fix a bug that could cause corruption to the buffer pool cache if a race condition was hit while using DB->Compact. [#14360]
2. Fix a bug where cache pages could be leaked in applications creating temporary files for which the DB_MPOOL_NOFILE flag was set. [#14544]
1. Fix a bug that could cause extra empty pages to appear in a database file after recovery. [#11118]
2. Fix a bug triggered when running recovery with a feedback function that could cause a NULL pointer dereference. [#13834]
3. Fix a bug where multiple copies of directories listed in DB_CONFIG were in the data directory list when recovery is run. [#13884]
4. Fix a bug to not trade locks if a write lock is already owned. [#13917]
5. Fix a bug that could cause traps or hangs if the DB_TXN-> set_name function is used in a multithreaded application. [#14033]
6. Fix a bug so that a transaction can no longer be committed after it had deadlocked. [#14037]
7. Fix a bug that could cause a trap during recovery if multiple operations that could remove the same extent are recovered. [#14061]
8. Fix a bug that could cause an extent file to be deleted after the last record in the extent was consumed but the consuming transaction was aborted. [#14179]
9. Fix a bug where the parent database would not use DB_READ_UNCOMMITTED in certain cases when calling DBC-> c_pget. [#14361]
10. Fix a bug so that it is no longer possible to do a non-transactional cursor update on a database that is opened transactionally. [#14519]
11. Fix a bug that causes a sequence to ignore the DB_AUTO_COMMIT settings. [#14582]
12. Fix a bug, change txn_recover so that multiple processes will recover prepared transactions without requiring that the first process stay active. [#14707]
1. Fix a bug that caused db_verify to not check the order on leaf pages which were the leftmost children of an internal node. [#13004]
2. Fix a bug that caused db_hotbackup to not backup queue extent files. [#13848]
3. Fix a bug so that db_verify no longer reports that an unused hash page is not fully zeroed. [#14030]
4. Fix a bug where db_stat ignored the –f option to return “fast” statistics. [#14283]
5. Fix a bug that prevented the db_stat utility from opening database files with write permission so that meta data statistics would be updated. [#14755]
1. The Berkeley DB 4.3 and 4.4 releases disallowed using the –with- uniquename configuration option with the C++, Java, or RPC –enable-XXX options. The 4.5 release returns to the 4.2 release behavior, allowing those combinations of configuration options. [#14067]
2. Fix build issues when CONIG_TEST is not enabled for Tcl. [#14507]
3. There are updated build instructions for DB PHP module on Linux. [#14249]
4. Use libtool’s “standard” environment variable names so that you can set “AR” to “ ar –X64” for example, and modify both libtool and the Makefile commands. Remove the install-strip target from the Makefile, it is no longer used. [#14726]