Employee Volunteering | Oracle Corporate Citizenship Report
For more than 22 years, Oracle employees have helped improve the quality of life in communities where we live and work.
We support a wide variety of volunteer projects, some global and many designed to meet specific local needs.
- Season of Sharing: Every November and December, Oracle employees around the world share their time and personal resources to help those in need.
- Earth Week: Every April during Earth Week, Oracle employees take action to protect our planet. They partner with environmental organizations to restore habitats, plant trees, clean up beaches and parklands, and protect wildlife.
Europe, Middle East, Africa
In FY12, employees logged 56,000 volunteer hours in 44 countries.
Launch the slideshow
- Bucharest, Romania: Oracle Volunteers helped the Casa Lidia orphanage stage a concert to raise money for construction of a playground.
- Madrid, Spain: To support the Association of Parents of Cancer Patients, 350 Oracle Volunteers engaged 250 kids in a day of fun and games, including a theatrical performance.
- Warszawa, Poland: Oracle Volunteers dedicated an entire day to supporting children's teams at the first Lego League robotics competition. They assisted the event organizers, provided snacks, and transported children to and from the competition.
- Blarney, Ireland: At Scoil Mhuire Gan Smál, a secondary school, Oracle Volunteers cleaned, painted, and donated books to create a comfortable reading space to help students develop as readers, writers, and thinkers.
- Bucharest, Romania: Oracle Volunteers spent a day painting fences, cleaning paddocks, and cutting grass at Lubirre, Bucharest's first-ever dog adoption center. Volunteers also spent time grooming, walking, and socializing the dogs.
- Madrid, Spain: Oracle employee Jose Jimenez rode his bicycle 375 miles to raise money for the Isabel Gemio Foundation, which is dedicated to finding cures for neuromuscular diseases.
- Putzbrunn, Germany: At Salberghaus, a therapeutic center for infants and children, Oracle Volunteers painted a patient room, cut hedges, and played games with the children.
- Sofia, Bulgaria: Oracle Volunteers brightened up the Sofia Zoo, the oldest and largest zoo in Bulgaria, by providing a fresh coat of paint on the fences.
- Bohemia, Czech Republic: 70 Oracle Volunteers planted trees to help restore a deforested area of Central Bohemia.
- Madrid, Spain: 18 Oracle Volunteers from 11 countries translated short articles from English into other languages for the BabelFAmily Website. BabelFAmily is a worldwide group of volunteers who support the doctors, researchers, and scientists searching for treatments and a cure for Friedreich's ataxia.
- Cairo, Egypt: 25 Oracle employees adopted and refurbished Qaryet Abd Elsamad Preparatory School, which serves 300 disadvantaged children. Oracle Volunteers painted the schools' 12 classrooms and soon plan to revitalize the computer lab and restore the playground.
|# of Projects
||Increased by 30%
|# of Volunteers
- San Juan, Puerto Rico: Oracle Volunteers joined the Scuba Dogs diving school to pick up trash along a beach for the International Coastal Cleanup.
- Lima, Peru: In partnership with Association Peru Niñez, Oracle Volunteers prepared, served, and delivered 1,500 meals to children and adults of a Southern Lima community. Volunteers also donated clothes, toys, and books.
- São Paulo, Brazil: Oracle Volunteers hosted a fun-filled party and provided gifts for 150 children with special needs at Care Institute, an organization that advocates for social inclusion and rehabilitation.
- México City, Mexico: Oracle Volunteers removed three tons of trash to reopen green space for visitors to the Diego Rivera-Anahuacalli Museum.
- Bogotá, Colombia: In collaboration with members of the Camara Junior Internacional, a youth organization that promotes self-improvement and community service, Oracle Volunteers planted trees in a depressed area of Bogotá City.
- Santiago, Chile: Oracle Volunteers refurbished nine computers at the Voluntarios de la Esperanza center, providing 48 at-risk students with computing power and internet access.
- São Paulo, Brazil: Oracle Volunteers repaired and painted the sports court of Centro de Apoio à Criança "O Visconde," a community organization serving more than 1,600 disadvantaged youth.
- Caracas, Venezuela: Oracle Volunteers collected and delivered clothes, bed sheets, towels, and other items to the Casa Hogar Domingo Savio orphanage.
- Santiago, Chile: Oracle Volunteers hosted a toy-drive and holiday party for 190 disadvantaged children at the Jardin Infantil Las Pequitas daycare center.
- California, United States: Oracle Volunteers work with patients at the Marine Mammal Center, one of the world's premiere veterinary hospitals.
- California, United States: In collaboration with Habitat for Humanity, Oracle Volunteers put on their hard hats and work boots and installed weather-proofing and siding on a 36-unit condominium complex for low-income families.
- Colorado, United States: In collaboration with the American Red Cross, Oracle Volunteers spread good cheer by writing holiday cards to US military veterans, active service members, and their families around the world.
- Massachusetts, United States: In partnership with People Helping People, Oracle Volunteers from Burlington, Vermont collected toys and grocery items for hundreds of families in need.
- Colorado, United States: Oracle Volunteers spent more than 1,100 hours creating audio books for Learning Ally, an organization that provides more than 65,000 textbooks and literature titles for people who cannot read due to blindness, visual impairment, dyslexia, or other learning disabilities.
- Aurora, Canada: Oracle Volunteers joined forces with Yellow Brick House, an agency serving women and families who have left abusive relationships. Volunteers built shelves, painted, and installed insulation at Reta's Place shelter, and sorted hundreds of donated items at the Yellow Brick warehouse.
- Toronto, Canada: Oracle Volunteers helped Evangel Hall Mission prepare and serve hot meals to more than 160 homeless individuals.
- Orlando, Florida: Oracle Volunteers signed cards to show their appreciation for members of the United States Armed Forces who could not be home for the holidays. The American Red Cross collected and mailed the cards to service members abroad.
- East Rutherford, New Jersey: Oracle Volunteers donated new and gently used Halloween costumes to Jersey Cares, an organization that matches individuals and groups with volunteer opportunities. The Halloween costumes were distributed to children living in local shelters.
- Austin, Texas: In collaboration with Caritas Community Kitchen, Oracle Volunteers prepared and served lunch to more than 350 homeless individuals.
- California, United States: Oracle Volunteers brought joy to 40 families at Shelter Network of San Mateo County by hosting holiday activities, including ornament making and cookie decorating.
- Bangalore, India: 200 Oracle Volunteers participated in the Bangalore Midnight Marathon, a fundraiser organized by Rotary Bangalore West to benefit child welfare organizations.
- Chamarajanagar, India: Oracle Volunteers distributed books, gifts, and sports kits to 500 children in communities served by Vivekananda Girijana Kalyana Kendra, an agency that helps tribal societies improve their standard of living while keeping their culture intact.
- Paranaque, Philippines: Oracle Volunteers helped the volunteer doctors of the Exempli Gratia Foundation provide 900 low-income patients with free check-ups and medicine.
- Tokyo, Japan: In collaboration with Japan Heart, 69 Oracle Volunteers knitted mufflers, gloves, and hats for victims of the 2011 earthquake, and also gave out handmade greeting cards and bags of candy.
- Dalian, China: Oracle Volunteers gathered in Xinhang Square, the city's largest plaza, to clean up litter and raise awareness about the environment.
- Laguna, Philippines: In support of My Shelter Foundation's mission to provide light to 1 million homes by 2012, Oracle Volunteers converted used plastic bottles into eco-friendly "solar bottle bulbs" and installed 120 bulbs in households in a resettlement area.
- Bangalore, India: Oracle Volunteers organized a science workshop for 100 underprivileged children, including a field trip to a planetarium to learn about the solar system.
- Fisher, Australia: Oracle Volunteers spruced up the garden and helped with maintenance at two Hartley Lifecare homes for the disabled.
- Wellington, New Zealand: In partnership with the Wellington City Mission, Oracle Volunteers packed food parcels for redistribution to families in need.
- Lopburi, Thailand: Oracle Volunteers repainted a library and six classrooms at the Nong Ga Biean School, creating a more comfortable learning environment for students and teachers.