Oracle SaaS Platform is Leading Choice for Growing Number of Companies Offering Software as a Service
8 out of 10 Top SaaS ISVs Delivering Mission-Critical Applications Run on Oracle(1)
November 12, 2007
Oracle today announced that Software as a Service (SaaS) Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) have increasingly adopted the Oracle SaaS Platform. Based on Oracle's proven Technology software platform, including Oracle(r) Database, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle Enterprise Manager, the Oracle SaaS Platform helps accelerate the adoption of the SaaS delivery model with an integrated, comprehensive, secure and scalable set of technology products on which to build, deploy and manage on demand services.
"SaaS vendors are challenged to deliver greater value to customers while managing costs," said Rebecca Wettemann, vice president at Nucleus Research. "We found most delivering mission-critical applications chose Oracle as their foundation because its flexibility and scalability, as well as ease of management, enabled them to deliver on the SaaS promise while keeping costs low."
"Oracle continues to gain momentum as a leading SaaS platform for ISVs," said John Gawkowski, vice president Oracle Platform Technology Solutions. "The Oracle SaaS Platform connects leading Oracle technology software and partners, making it even easier for ISVs adopting a SaaS delivery model to build, deploy and manage their applications. With the Oracle SaaS Platform, ISVs are looking to Oracle and its partners as a fully capable, low cost, virtually seamless path to SaaS enablement."
The Oracle SaaS Platform, consisting of Oracle Database (including Oracle TimesTen In Memory Database and Oracle Berkeley DB), Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle Enterprise Manager, allows ISVs to build, deploy and manage SaaS applications on a complete, secure and pre-integrated set of technologies, that work together seamlessly. In addition, a single integrated tool, Oracle Enterprise Manager, allows ISVs to manage their application and platform and perform Service-Level Management from a single integrated console.
The Oracle SaaS Platform provides the following benefits to SaaS ISVs and providers of hosting services:
* Scalable SaaS Applications - Scale SaaS applications with growth in users and provide right information for delivery to users, quickly and reliably. The Oracle SaaS Platform provides scalability - at the database tier with Oracle Database Real Application Clusters for grid computing, Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database for real-time caching, and Oracle Berkeley DB for embedded, non-relational data management. The Oracle SaaS Platform also provides scalability at the middle-tier with support for clustering in Oracle Application Server and distributed data grids with Oracle Coherence.
* Meeting Service-Level Requirements - Monitor and meet service-level agreements using SLA modeling and enforcement with a top-down application management approach. The platform provides support for problem detection, alerting and diagnosability including features that include real application testing and configuration management; and scales cost effectively using commodity hardware with grid computing. In addition, Oracle TimesTen can further improve performance and enable micro-second level response times to meet stringent SLAs for mission-critical applications.
* Improved Developer Productivity - Rapidly develop, deploy and manage metadata-driven, service-oriented applications with rich Web2.0 style UI with customizable data, processes and UI. Oracle provides a comprehensive, metadata-driven platform that includes an integrated service environment to develop services and Web2.0 UI; a multi-protocol ESB for integration; a BPEL engine to orchestrate services; and an enterprise portal for configurable access to content and services.
* Secure On-Demand - Help ensure security for hosted on-demand applications and address privacy, compliance and regulatory concerns. Oracle provides the most advanced security capabilities including transparent data encryption, virtual private database, secure backup, user provisioning and access & credential management.
* Insight-driven Applications - Build SaaS applications that provide in-process actionable analytics. With Oracle Business Intelligence, service providers can build and deploy operational reports and analytics-driven in-context actionable insight for users.
Oracle SaaS Platform Widely Adopted by Leading SaaS Providers The Oracle SaaS Platform has been widely adopted by leading SaaS ISVs. This growth can, in part, be attributed to Oracle's efforts to increase support and expand partnerships, which have helped further enable ISVs to successfully adopt a Software as a Service delivery model.
Leading ISV's that have chosen the Oracle SaaS Platform to offer their applications in a SaaS delivery model include: 170 Systems, 3i Infotech, Adaptive Planning, Agistix, Autodesk, Blackboard, Cadec, Callidus Software, Cerner Corporation, ChartOne, Cisco WebEx, Citrix Online a Division of Citrix Systems, Inc., dthree, E2open, Fair Isaac Corporation, HireRight, Infopia, Intacct, Ketera, MAXIMUS, MedQuist, Micros Systems Inc., Octagon Research Solutions, Inc., Perot Systems, Sabrix Inc., Soundbite Communications, SPS Commerce, Taxcient Inc., Teranode Corporation, TradeBeam Inc., Where 2 Get It, Inc., Xactly Corporation.
In order to further its leadership position in providing a technology platform to SaaS providers, Oracle is also working closely with it's own Oracle On Demand business, hosting service providers and systems integrators, including CSC, USi (an AT&T company), OpSource, Symphony Services and Patni Computer Systems, who bring deep expertise in SaaS enablement and can assist ISVs in building and hosting SaaS-based applications.
"As a SaaS leader, quality, speed of delivery and security are the lifeblood of the WebEx business," said Gary Griffiths, vice president, products and operations, Cisco WebEx. "By using Oracle, we can focus on serving our 6 million users and growing network of WebEx Connect partners without worrying about database scalability within our on-demand collaboration services platform."
"Cerner's Healthe services address the ever growing burden of healthcare expenses that employers face each day," said Bill Wing, Vice President of Healthe Services. "Oracle SaaS technology enables our Healthe solution for clinics to provide electronic medical records, online scheduling, and community health records to better coordinate the care of tens of thousands of employees and their families around the world. Oracle has helped Cerner save companies millions in medical and pharmaceutical expenses while improving the productivity and health status of the populations we manage."
"Oracle's leading database, middleware, and enterprise manager software provide SPS Commerce with a rich platform on which to deliver a competitive SaaS offering," stated Archie Black, President and CEO at SPS Commerce. "We not only leverage the Oracle SaaS Platform for our supply chain services at our data center, but also integrate with Oracle systems at many of our customer sites, such as Welch's. Software as a service is the future, and we are pleased to partner with an organization that shares our vision."
"This is a very exciting time to be partnering with Oracle, a company that shares our vision of an on-demand world," said Treb Ryan, CEO of OpSource. "On-Demand delivery is serious business and requires serious tools and platforms. Oracle clearly understands this and delivers enterprise class products and services that play a major role in advancing the acceptance of the on-demand model. OpSource On-Demand, OpSource's industry leading Web application delivery platform utilizes Oracle Database to support leading SaaS ISVs as well as some of the most exciting Web 2.0 companies."
Expanded Oracle PartnerNetwork Technical Support
Expanding the technical services that are currently available to Oracle PartnerNetwork members, Oracle is offering ISV's technical support including architecture reviews as well as detailed information on best practices and application enhancements specifically for the purpose of moving to a SaaS delivery model based on the Oracle SaaS Platform. Oracle will also offer to its OPN ISV partners around the world, technical seminars and briefings on how to move to a SaaS model.
Availability and Pricing
The Oracle SaaS Platform consists of generally available software, including Oracle Database, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle Enterprise Manager. Information on the Oracle SaaS Platform and related technologies can be found at http://www.oracle.com/technologies/saas/index.html.
About the Oracle PartnerNetwork
Oracle PartnerNetwork is a global business network of more than 19,500 companies who deliver innovative software solutions based on Oracle software. Through access to Oracle's premier products, education, technical services, marketing and sales support, the Oracle PartnerNetwork program provides partners with the resources they need to be successful in today's global economy. Oracle partners are able to offer their customers leading-edge solutions backed by Oracle's position as the world's largest enterprise software company. Partners who are able to demonstrate superior product knowledge, technical expertise and a commitment to doing business with Oracle qualify for the Certified Partner levels. http://oraclepartnernetwork.oracle.com
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's largest enterprise software company. For more information about Oracle, visit our Web site at http://www.oracle.com.
Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Reference herein to third party content, including analysis, opinions, predictions and statements, does not constitute or imply Oracle's endorsement of or concurrence with such content.
(1) An independent analysis from Nucleus Research found that 8 out of 10 of the leading SaaS vendors delivering mission-critical applications were running on Oracle. The full analysis is available from Nucleus Research at www.NucleusResearch.com.