Back to the main page
Enhanced Capabilities for Deploying and Managing Private Clouds: Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Release 2 Plug-in Update 1
Oracle has released new enhancements and capabilities for Oracle Enterprise Manager12c that help optimize cloud resources and give customers more flexibility and control. The plug-in provides enhanced support, extends Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c’s capabilities for delivering database as a service (DBaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS), and introduces new features for testing as a service (TaaS).
Database as a Service
Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c offers new capabilities and support for managing database cloud services. It can provide schema-as-a-service functionality for extreme database consolidation as well as faster, more-efficient database cloning through Oracle Recovery Manager (Oracle RMAN) backups, and Snap Clone, a new Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c feature.
Schema as a service. Cloud users can request one or more schemas, with seed data, from the out-of-the-box self-service portal in Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c. Metering and chargeback capabilities provide visibility into resource consumption, enabling streamlined accountability and reporting.
Database cloning using Oracle RMAN backup. Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c provides new capabilities for cloning databases using Oracle RMAN backups via the self-service portal. This allows cloud users who have not invested in storage cloning technologies to create full clones of databases with just a few clicks.
Database Snap Clone. The new Snap Clone feature allows administrators to provision copies of production systems very quickly into test environments. Cloud users can request these databases and have them provisioned within minutes instead of hours, keeping storage needs and costs to a minimum.
Infrastructure as a Service
Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c has added support for building and managing infrastructure-as-a-service clouds based on the latest Oracle VM 3.2.1 release. Newly released Oracle Enterprise Manager plug-ins for Oracle Virtualization and Oracle Cloud provide comprehensive support for setting up a cloud infrastructure, deploying Oracle virtual assemblies and Oracle VM Templates, and monitoring and managing the health of the cloud. The new plug-in for managing the cloud infrastructure includes
- Support for Oracle VM 3.2.1
- New Oracle VM server roles
- Out-of-the-box policies for deploying VM workloads for optimal placement
- Resizing for storage repositories
- New, flexible storage allocation so you can grow your storage repositories as your Oracle VM usage grows
- The ability to group and search virtual resources based on functional or business boundaries
- A choice of application stack components when deploying assemblies
Testing as a Service
Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c introduces testing as a service (TaaS), a new cloud platform for delivering automated application testing services. A self-service solution designed for private clouds, it orchestrates the end-to-end testing process. TaaS makes it possible to significantly reduce testing time and costs without compromising quality, and it enables organizations to be more agile in delivering critical business applications to their users. Key capabilities include
- A self-service Web interface that enables end-to-end orchestration of the entire testing process
- Complete test lab provisioning and management, including the ability to deploy complex multitier applications, test tools, and test scripts
- A secure test library with full access controls
- Shared cloud hardware resource pools with full resource and quota controls
- Integrated and rich application monitoring and diagnostics for the middle tier and data tier, enabling easy detection of bottlenecks and performance problems
- Flexible resource metering and chargeback so that internal cost centers or groups can be charged for their usage of cloud resources
Learn more about Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Release 2 Plug-in Update 1.