We all want to get the best jobs, work on great projects, attract and retain top employees, and advance our careers. As we all know, there's no "holy grail" or single tool to accomplish all of that (despite my wishes). Rather, these goals require a multitude of skill combinations, work and life experiences, temperaments, ambitions, and a latticework of training courses/programs over the years. When the moment comes for you to find the best person for a project or acquire a full-time employee to work in your group, you get mere moments to try and assess all of these pieces and more. As a candidate, those same "mere moments" apply to you as you try and showcase your best in an extremely short amount of time.
Here at Oracle University we devote the specific attention of a cross-section of experts to architecting and delivering exams that separate the qualified from the 'not so qualified'. A very exacting science goes into the craft of building each test question, the resulting correct answer and each distractor (incorrect answer), the time allotments, the sequencing of the questions, the alpha and beta testing, and determine the exact cut score that is required to pass the exam.
Now while no employer should use this as a single tool to evaluate for advancement and new hires, it is an excellent resource to evaluate candidate technical ability. Candidates and management alike can review the knowledge domains and objectives for any our exams directly on our website at certification.oracle.com - where we list exactly what the qualified candidate has demonstrated that they are able to do and how well they can do it.
Candidates often use preparing for an Oracle Certification as both a training framework and an advancement tool, where the required work, study and practice pushes them in areas far outside the comfort zone of their day-to-day work. This broadening and deepening of skill sets is seen as a key advantage for both candidates and employer.
This month we focus on endorsing a new set of industry gurus in Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning and Oracle Exadata X3 Administration with the release of two new certifications: the "Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning" and "Oracle Exadata X3 Administration Oracle Certified Expert" - both Oracle Certified Expert (OCE) certifications, and both requiring passing only a single exam. If you work in these areas, have people working in these areas, or are hiring in these areas - I encourage you to check them out below.
Sr. Manager, Oracle Certification Program
In This Issue:
| ||New Certifications |
|Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning |
In March, Oracle Certification announced the release of the new Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle Database 11g Release 2 SQL Tuning (OCE) certification.
This certification is designed for Developer, DBAs and SQL developers who are proficient at tuning SQL statements. This certification exam covers topics on core elements such as: identifying and tuning inefficient SQL statements, using automatic SQL tuning, managing optimizer statistics on database objects, implementing partitioning and analyzing queries. Up-to-date training and field experience are recommended.
Earning this certification requires passing a single exam: "Oracle Database 11g Release 2: SQL Tuning" (1Z0-117). This exam recently completed beta testing and is now live for registration through Pearson VUE testing centers worldwide.
Although training is not required for this certification, Oracle University offers several courses to help ensure success on the certification exam: You can get all preparation details, including exam objectives, number of questions, time allotments, and pricing on the Oracle Certification website.
QUICK LINKS Oracle Exadata Database Machine X3 Administration
In early March, Oracle Certification announced the release of the new Oracle Exadata Database Machine X3 Administration Oracle Certified Expert (OCE) certification.
This new certification is designed for individuals who possess a strong foundation in Oracle Database 11g Database, and covers topics such as: Exadata Database Machine features and configurations, Exadata Storage Server, migrating to the Database Machine as well as maintaining, monitoring and optimizing the Database Machine after initial configuration. This certification differentiates candidates in the marketplace by providing a competitive edge through proven expertise. This certification also fulfills one of the prior certification requirements for the upcoming Oracle Certified Professional and Oracle Certified Master, Database Cloud Administrator Certifications. Up-to-date training and field experience are recommended.
Earning this certification requires passing a single exam: "Oracle Exadata Database Machine X3 Administration" (1Z0-027). This exam recently completed beta testing and is now live for registration through Pearson VUE testing centers worldwide.
Although there is no required training for this certification, the Exadata Database Machine Administration Workshop is highly recommended to help ensure success on the certification exam.
You can get all preparation details, including exam objectives, number of questions, time allotments, and pricing on the Oracle Certification website.
| ||New Exam Prep Seminar for Java SE 7 Programmer II (OCP) |
| We're happy to announce the availability of this recently released Exam Prep Seminar titled "Java SE 7 Programmer II". This new Exam Prep Seminar is available standalone, or through a Certification Value Package, which includes (1) the Seminar, and (2) a certification exam voucher with a free retake. |
For those of you preparing for the Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer certification, this seminar is a great value and and an excellent way to gain valuable insight from one of Oracle University's top instructors. This Exam Prep Seminar will accelerate your preparation, make your prep time more efficient and give you insight to the breadth and depth of the certification exam.
| ||Oracle to Retire Select Certification Exams |
|Oracle will retire several certification exams and certification tracks throughout July and August. Newer versions of many of these certifications are available. Existing certification holders should note that these retirements suspend the delivery of any further exams, but do not affect your certification. If you currently hold a certification earned by one of these exams, your credential remains fully valid. |
Candidates are recommended to plan for and schedule the exams sufficiently in advance (to allow for the 14-day re-take waiting period) in the unfortunate event that they do not pass the exam on the first attempt. Re-takes of the retiring exams will not be available after the retirement date.
Retiring July 1, 2013
- 1Z0-545 Oracle Identity Analytics 11g Essentials Exam
The retiring "Oracle Identity Analytics 11g Certified Implementation Specialist" and the new "Oracle Identity Governance Suite 11g Certified Implementation Specialist" certifications count toward different Oracle Partner Network (OPN) specializations. Because the Oracle Identity Analytics 11g Essentials (1Z0-545) exam will continue to be offered only through July 1, 2013, candidates may consider preparing instead for the newer "Oracle Identity Governance Suite 11g Essentials" (1Z0-459) exam to remain current. More>>
- Oracle Identity Analytics 11g Certified Implementation Specialist
Retiring July 31, 2013
- Oracle9i Database Administrator Certified Associate
- Oracle9i Database Administrator Certified Professional
- Hyperion Essbase 9.3 Developer Certified Expert
- Hyperion Financial Management 9.3 Administrator Certified Expert
- Hyperion Planning 9.3 Administrator Certified Expert
- Oracle Application Server 10g Administrator: Certified Associate
- Oracle Application Server 10g Administrator: Certified Professional
- Oracle Certified Expert, NetBeans Integrated Development Environment 6.1 Programmer
These exams will continue to be offered through July 31, 2013. Candidates pursuing these certification paths must successfully complete the required certification exams by this date. Re-takes will not be available after this date. For more information see Oracle Certification retirements.
- 1Z0-007 Introduction to Oracle9i: SQL
- 1Z0-031 Oracle9i Database: Fundamentals I
- 1Z0-032 Oracle9i Database: Fundamentals II
- 1Z0-033 Oracle9i Database: Performance Tuning
- 1Z0-264 Hyperion Essbase 9.3 Developer
- 1Z0-271 Hyperion Financial Management 9.3 Administrator I & II
- 1Z0-272 Hyperion Planning 9.3 Administrator I & II
- 1Z0-311 Oracle Application Server 10g: Administration I
- 1Z0-312 Oracle Application Server 10g: Administration II
- 1Z0-889 NetBeans Integrated Development Environment 6.1 Programmer Certified Expert Exam
Retiring August 31, 2013
- Hyperion BI+ 9.3 Administrator Certified Expert
- Oracle EBS R12 Financials Certified Expert Consultant, Payables
- Oracle EBS R12 Financials Certified Expert Consultant, Receivables
- Oracle EBS R12 Supply Chain Certified Expert Consultant, Purchasing
- Oracle EBS R12 Supply Chain Certified Expert Consultant, Order Management
- Oracle E-Business Suite R12 System Administrator Certified Expert
- Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Advanced Supply Chain Planning Consultant Certified Expert
- 1Z0-265 Hyperion BI+ 9.3 Administrator
- 1Z0-204 Oracle EBS R12 Essentials for Implementers
- 1Z0-215 Oracle EBS R12 General Ledger and Payables Fundamentals
- 1Z0-216 Oracle EBS R12 General Ledger and Receivables Fundamentals
- 1Z0-225 Oracle EBS R12: Inventory and Purchasing Fundamentals
- 1Z0-226 Oracle EBS R12: Inventory and Order Management Fundamentals
- 1Z0-206 Oracle EBS R12 System Administration
- 1Z0-244 Oracle EBS R12: Advanced Supply Chain Planning
These exams will continue to be offered through August 31, 2013. Candidates pursuing these certification paths must successfully complete the required certification exams by this date. Re-takes will not be available after this date. For more information see Oracle Certification retirements.
Upcoming Oracle9i DBA Retirements: What Do They Mean For Those On 9i OCA and OCP DBA Certification Paths?
As you may know, the Oracle9i Database Administrator Associate (OCA) and Professional (OCP) exams and certification paths retire on July 31, 2013.
To complete your Oracle9i Database Administrator certification, you should pass your exams on or before that date. Because of the age of this certification, you may want to consider shifting your focus from 9i to 11g (currently the latest available version of Oracle Database Administrator certification).
Candidates who have already completed a 9i training course in anticipation of obtaining the Oracle9i Database Administrator Certified Professional credential may choose to complete the 9i path and then upgrade to Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional by passing a single exam, 1Z0-055 Oracle Database 11g: New Features for 9i OCPs. This way, you will not be required to complete additional training.
Note that your 9i training will not fulfill the training requirement for the Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional. Thus if you choose to pursue the 11g certification (instead of opting for 9i certification and then upgrade to 11g), you will be required to complete additional training. However, if you obtain the 9i certification before the retirement date, and then upgrade to 11g via the upgrade exam, you will not be required to complete additional training.
- Be sure you have a Pearson VUE web account.
- If you took any earlier exams at our previous test vendor, Prometric, you will need to create a web account to register for remaining exams.
- If you took exams previously at Prometric, you will have an Oracle Testing ID (Prometric ID). When you create your Pearson VUE account, it is very important that you enter your ID. If you already have an ID and Pearson VUE still assigns you a new one, you should request to have the two merged immediately.
- Authenticate your CertView account if you have not already.
- You will need the email address and Oracle Testing ID from your Pearson VUE profile.
- Be sure that you can view all prior exams and certifications in your CertView account. If not, it is likely that you have multiple IDs. Please contact Pearson VUE for assistance with getting your IDs merged.
- Remember to submit your course form so that your training can be verified.
- Allow plenty of time to take (and possibly retake) your exam.
- There is a 14-day waiting period to retake any failed exams. Be sure to build that time into your schedule, regardless of how confident you feel about the exam. If you take one of the retiring exams fewer than 14 days before the retirement date and you fail, you will not have the opportunity to retake the exam.
- You should also allow time for any issues at the test center. While test center issues are infrequent, a download or connection issue could require you to reschedule. Build a little extra time into your schedule to allow for this eventuality.
- Be aware of any public holidays that may cause testing centers to be closed close to the retirement date.
- Avoid the last minute rush. Some testing centers have quite limited seating. They may run out of space as the deadline moves closer.
You can view more information about CertView and Pearson VUE accounts in our Help Center on the Oracle Certification Website. If you have a scenario that is not covered in our scenarios above, or if you have a question that is not covered in our Help Center, you can post it to the comments here (if it does not require posting personal information). If submission of personal information (such as Oracle Testing ID, email address, etc) is required, please do not post here in the blog comments; instead submit an SR to Oracle Certification Support.
- Candidates who take all exams before July 31, 2013 but have not submitted the course form:
- Candidates who have passed all exams by the deadline and have not submitted the course form, may submit the course form after the retirement date and will receive the certification.
- Candidates who take all exams before July 31, 2013, but have not completed training:
- Candidates who have passed all exams by the deadline and have not taken training, may take the training and submit the course form after the deadline and will receive the certification.
- Candidates who complete all requirements by July 31, 2013, but have requirements completed under multiple IDs:
- Candidates who pass all exams, complete training and submit the course form before the retirement date, but whose certification does not show in CertView because steps were submitted under different Oracle Testing IDs, can merge IDs and receive the certification after the retirement date.
| ||Beta Testing Closes SOON: Oracle Solaris 11 Advanced System Administration (1Z1-822) |
|The beta period will soon be closing for the Oracle Solaris 11 Advanced System Administration Exam (1Z1-822). This is your last opportunity to take the certification exam at the greatly discounted rate of $50 USD, as well as be one of the first to hold this new certification. |
The exam, combined with the Oracle Certified Associate, Oracle Solaris 11 System Administrator certification and a training requirement, leads to the Oracle Certified Professional, Oracle Solaris 11 System Administrator (OCP) certification. This certification is designed for Oracle Solaris System Administrators who have a strong foundation in the Oracle Solaris 11 Operating System and a fundamental understanding of the UNIX operating system, commands and utilities. This certification covers topics on core elements such as: configuring network interfaces, managing swap configurations, crash dumps, and core files.
The Oracle Solaris 11 Advanced System Administration training course is highly recommended, as it highlights an array of advanced subjects and technologies, such as installing Oracle Solaris 11 using the Automated Installer (AI) and the Image Packaging System (IPS) for package management. This course will also fulfill the training requirement for this certification path.
You can get all preparation details, including exam objectives, number of questions, time allotments, and pricing on the Oracle Certification website.
Visit pearsonvue.com/oracle and register for exam 1Z1-822.
| ||Stay Tuned For New Java Production Exam (1Z0-807) |
|The beta period has closed for the Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect Certified Master exam. This exam, combined with the Java Enterprise Architect Certified Master Assignment, the Java Enterprise Architect Certified Master Essay and a training requirement, leads to the Oracle Certified Master, Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect certification. |
This exam is currently in post beta review and the production version of this exam should be available soon. Once registration for the production version is available, candidates should visit pearsonvue.com/oracle and register for exam 1Z0-807. This exam is the first step toward expanding your skills, knowledge and career options with the Oracle Certified Master, Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect certification.
To move your career forward as a Java developer, you need the recognition that only advanced Java certifications can provide. This is the most prestigious Java credential, proving that you possess the skills and knowledge to work at an enterprise level. This certification prepares you to confidently architect systems, define requirements, and oversee execution within a large enterprise organization. The advanced skills demonstrated by the Java Enterprise Architect extend far beyond fundamental Java programming.
You can get all preparation details, including exam objectives, number of questions, time allotments, recommended training, and pricing on the Oracle Certification website.
| ||Customer Question: Why Is There No PL/SQL Developer OCM? |
|We occasionally receive the question as to why there is no Master Certification for the PL/SQL Developer path. This is very good question. We posted a helpful short article several years ago on How Do We Select Which Certifications To Build? which provides a good in-depth look at our evaluation process for which certifications to develop. |
In short, the PL/SQL certification is a very popular certification, but few candidates move past the OCA level of certification. As with any new certification, we need to be fairly certain that the exam will reach a certain uptake threshold. This is especially true with the OCM exams because they are currently scheduled at Oracle University locations. If there is not enough enrollment in a scheduled event, the exam will be canceled, which can be frustrating for candidates who have gone through an arduous preparation process. At this time, we're not currently seeing sufficient demand to support a PL/SQL OCM exam.
That said, we do periodically evaluate areas of interest to determine the feasibility of building new certifications. We regularly look at this particular path to determine if it is a viable candidate for an OCM. We always appreciate your feedback on what certifications you would like to see released by Oracle. This helps us determine where interest lies and helps us shape our program to the needs of our students.
| ||Connect |