OTN Sys Admin Days are like OTN's Developer Days, but we focus on the Sys Admin with two parallel, hands-on Oracle Solaris and Oracle Linux tracks. These are live classroom events and you'll need to bring your own laptop to follow the practical exercises that we will go through in a VirtualBox environment. Oracle Solaris Track
Oracle Linux Track
- Steps required to use ZFS, including taking snapshots, cloning data, managing your allocation limits, and recovering from errors.
- Oracle Solaris virtualization technologies, learning how to isolate or consolidate the OS, the storage, or the network.
- Oracle Solaris security - helping you walk through the steps to manage privileges, deal with rights and authorizations, and really understand how security is integrated with the Oracle Solaris Service Management Facility (SMF).
Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g Ops Center
- Installing and configuring Oracle VM VirtualBox, importing the Oracle Linux virtual appliance.
- Package management on Oracle Linux using RPM and yum. Listing installed packages, obtaining additional information about packages. Searching for packages and installing/updating them. Verifying package integrity, removing software.
- Linux services and run levels, how to start and stop them, checking the status of a particular service. Enabling a service to be started automatically at system boot.
- Storage management with LVM2, the Linux Logical Volume Manager. Preparing block devices, creating physical and logical volumes. Creating file systems on top of logical volumes, resizing file systems dynamically. Setting up software RAID devices, configuring encrypted block devices.
- Introduction to the Btrfs file system. Creating and mounting a Btrfs file system. Setting up a mirrored/striped file system across multiple block devices. Adding/removing block devices, creating file system snapshots.
Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center - Ops Center provides deep insight into lower level hardware, storage, network, virtualization, and operating system layers while presenting that information concisely at an enterprise layer wherein it can control thousands of systems. It helps simplify operations by centralizing and automating the most costly and painful life cycle management tasks associated with running infrastructure. Ops Center allows a central administration point where you can bare metal provision and patch both Oracle Linux and Oracle Solaris. Ops Center offers the most efficient way to query your OS configuration against the Unbreakable Linux Network and My Oracle Support for known patches and move effectively straight to provisioning fixes and enhancement at a high rate of success across your datacenter.
Finally, we'll spend the last hour listening to you. What are your most pressing problems? How can we help you do your job better? More easily? For less cost? Or with fewer mistakes?
System Shakedown (optional)
Overview of Oracle Operating Systems
| || |
|9:30 a.m. ||Overview of Oracle Solaris ||Overview of Oracle Linux |
|10:00 a.m. ||Hands-On Lab: Oracle Solaris ZFS ||Hands-On Lab: Package Management and Configuration |
|11:30 a.m. ||Hands-On Lab: Virtualization ||Hands-On Lab: Storage Management |
Hands-On Lab: Image Packaging System (IPS)
Hands-On Lab: BTRFS
Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops Center Lecture
Discussion: Most Pressing Sys Admin Issues