This tutorial covers the steps for cloning an Oracle Database
12c non-CDB, and plugging it as a
pluggable database (PDB) into a container database (CDB).
Time to Complete
Approximately 30 minutes
You can easily plug an Oracle Database 12c non-CDB into a CDB. Just create a PDB manifest file for the non-CDB, and then use
the manifest file to create a cloned PDB in the
Before starting this tutorial, you should:
- Ensure that you have enough disk space to hold a second copy
of the non-CDB.
- Install Oracle Database 12c.
- Create a non-CDB and a CDB.
The environment used in the development of this tutorial is as follows:
- ORACLE_HOME: /u01/app/oracle/product/12.1.0
- TNS Listener port: 1521
- Container databases:
- SID: cdb1
- SID: cdb2
- Pluggable databases (in cdb1):
Setting the Non-CDB to Read-Only Mode
Generating a Pluggable Database Manifest File for the
Creating and Plugging in a PDB into cdb2 by Using the noncdb Manifest File
Converting to the PDB Data Dictionary (Optional)
At this point, the new PDB cloned from the
non-CDB will work fine. However, if you need to
upgrade the CDB later, you
should run the noncdb_to_pdb.sql
script to remove superfluous non-CDB data from the PDB
data dictionary. This step is optional in this tutorial,
but it is recommended in a production environment.
Resetting Your Environment
Perform the following steps to reset your environment prior to repeating the activities covered in this OBE or starting another OBE.
In this tutorial, you learned how to clone and plug a non-CDB as a PDB into a CDB.
- To learn more about Oracle 12c PDBs, refer to additional OBEs in the Oracle Learning Library.
- Adapted from a lab created by Bryn Llewellyn,
Oracle Product Manager
To help navigate this Oracle by Example, note the following:
- Hiding Header Buttons:
- Click the Title to hide the buttons in the header. To show the buttons again, simply click the Title again.
- Topic List Button:
- A list of all the topics. Click one of the topics to navigate to that section.
- Expand/Collapse All Topics:
- To show/hide all the detail for all the sections. By default, all topics are collapsed
- Show/Hide All Images:
- To show/hide all the screenshots. By default, all images are displayed.
- To print the content. The content currently displayed or hidden will be printed.
To navigate to a particular section in this tutorial, select the topic from the list.