Reams of paperwork are often replaced with loads of software, as contractors use discrete applications to track finances, human capital, equipment, materials, process workflows, and engineering drawings
The unpredictability of cost and processes like hardware procurement and VM deployment that were taking too long
Integrate financials with project controls, with project management, billing, change management, inventory, resource planning, and scheduling into one system
Finding the right cloud
Foreseeing the potential and future of cloud technology, CMiC explored different options, from an in-house version to combining datacenters with cloud services from Amazon Web Services. CMiC finally decided on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. CMiC Enterprise isn’t one application but is a complete solution with 2,000 applications delivering extensive functionality to multiple construction verticals with diverse needs, including Financials, Field and ECM capabilities to help manage corporate risks.
“Our challenges were the unpredictability of cost and processes like hardware procurement and VM deployment that were taking too long. We needed a procedure in place that could help determine whether we had enough resources,” said Vince Di Piazza, Director of IT and Cloud Infrastructure at CMiC.
Di Piazza continued, "Oracle Cloud Infrastructure addressed our challenges. It provides compute, fast block storage, load balancers with SSL offload, and security lists – everything our business needs today. The private subnet feature means we can create isolated networks without internet access for improved security."
Why CMiC Chose Oracle
- Long term, successful partnership
- Mission-critical CMiC Construction Enterprise Oracle-based solution runs best on Oracle
- Met compliance needs
- 10x faster deployments
- Replaced 10 to 20 different software packages, each with its own database, with one application on a single database
- 10x faster deployment with dependable, repeatable results
- Superior compute and storage performance and security
- Scalable platform
- Ease of management: 350 customers in the cloud that get their upgrades at exactly the same time
- Continuous upgrades such as autonomous database and bare metal compute
- A typical deployment consists of 3 virtual machines, each with eight OCPUs, two of which are application servers running either the CMiC V10x product, or the latest release of R12. In an opportunity to merge technologies through joint operating servers, CMiC uses Windows Server for their application servers, with another server running Oracle Linux and Oracle Database 18c. These operating systems and servers are configured in Oracle Cloud to bring the CMiC software to life.
- Scaling the CMiC single database platform solution is typically done with larger or additional virtual machines. With an autonomous database, users confidently know that they are working with a single and persistent version of truth to reduce workloads, mitigate risks and advance security.
- “It is much easier to manage a cloud-based system because we don't have to worry about who has actually installed what. Right now, we've got 350 customers in the cloud who get their upgrades at exactly the same time. This means at any given time- they’re all running exactly the same version of CMiC,” said Gord Rawlins, President and CEO of CMiC
- Positioning for future growth – and evolving technology
- Oracle is CMiC’s lead partner and recommended cloud infrastructure. CMiC is also hosting their new Collaborate site, cmiccollaborate.com, on Oracle Cloud infrastructure. CMiC Collaborate is a breakthrough hybrid cloud platform that enables the seamless sharing of project documents, communications and cost information between general contractors, and their network of subcontractors.