Patrick reduces IT complexity and saves significant costs with Oracle Cloud
Patrick Migrates to Oracle ERP Cloud, Oracle EPM Cloud, and Oracle HCM Cloud in 5 months and cuts total cost of wwnership by over US$6.8 million.
Patrick is an Australian container terminal operator, handling over 3 million Twenty-Foot Equivalent Units (TEU) per year. Its terminal network is spread across four strategic locations nationwide, including Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, and Fremantle.
Patrick was using PeopleSoft applications, including financials, purchasing, payroll, and time and labor, from its former parent company, Asciano. After the corporate restructuring, Patrick needed to exit its legacy platform within 12-months to avoid significant usage fees. To support the timeframe, Patrick adopted Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Cloud, Oracle Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) Cloud, and Oracle Human Capital Management (HCM) Cloud to ensure a seamless migration.
“By adopting Oracle as a single, complete cloud for financials, planning, and HR functions, we saved millions of dollars in upgrade costs—and also expedited maintenance tasks by 400%. Oracle Advanced Customer Services also helped us to ensure system stability and maximize the value of our Oracle investment.”
- Meet the timeline to move out from Asciano’s platform after the demerger by replacing legacy PeopleSoft applications with a modern and flexible ERP, EPM, and HCM cloud
- Reduce upgrade costs and time to maintain various financial, ERP, and HR systems by migrating to a cloud platform rather than using in-house development
- Improve operating efficiency by enabling integration with third-party applications— including asset management and stevedoring services—and eliminate manual processes, such as creating purchase orders in the maintenance system
Why Patrick chose Oracle
“We considered Workday and SAP but decided that Oracle was the best fit because of its comprehensive offerings for finance and HR modules—and its competitive price point. The single vendor solution also helped us ensure a smooth transition and meet the required timeline.”
—Adrian Sandrin, CIO, Patrick
With support from Oracle Advanced Customer Services, Patrick replaced its legacy PeopleSoft application with Oracle ERP Cloud, Oracle EPM Cloud, and Oracle HCM Cloud. Oracle Advanced Customer Services also assisted Patrick to develop the majority of the 20 integration interfaces from the internal systems to Oracle Cloud within a 3-month period. Patrick successfully went live with the new platform two months after the integration.
“Our Oracle sales representative was professional and understood our business requirements, allowing us to quickly reach the buying decision with Oracle,” said Carlos Tiongson, Enterprise Systems Manager, Patrick. “The entire migration process took only five months. Oracle Cloud, Oracle Mission Critical Support, and Oracle Advanced Customer Services just checked all the boxes we needed it to.”
- Lowered the total cost of ownership from US$7 million to just US$177,000 in just 1 year by using Oracle Cloud as a single system for finance, planning and budgeting, and HR functions—and reducing the complexity and resources to manage all applications
- Transitioned all systems to Oracle Cloud 7 months ahead of schedule—just 5 months instead of 12 months—by implementing comprehensive and scalable Oracle ERP Cloud, Oracle EPM Cloud, and Oracle HCM Cloud with Oracle Advanced Customer Services providing ongoing functional support, change management, and regression testing services
- Minimized disruption to container terminal operations with extensive support from Oracle Advanced Customer Services to manage the entire suite of financial and HR applications and slashing the time to prepare and complete patching and upgrades by 4x—from 6 months to just 6 weeks
- Increased work efficiency by seamlessly integrating Oracle ERP Cloud with third-party applications, enabling the finance team to automatically generate up to 4,000 invoices each week with up to 5,000 lines per invoice, including data such as port levies, cargo transfers, and equipment hires
- Gained better visibility into business performance by standardizing the monthly management reporting with Oracle EPM Cloud and providing a complete snapshot of stevedoring productivity, such as gross crane rate or container moves per vessel, across the four terminals
- Reduced the overall ticket volume by 40% by gaining timely technical and functional managed services support from Oracle Advanced Customer Services to ensure system stability
- Helped the business improve service level agreements with shipping companies by using Oracle EPM Cloud to easily assess the impact of various scenarios, such as the cost to assign extra workers working on Friday or on the weekend to make shipment deadlines
- Enabled the business to significantly reduce headcount for shared services by automating end-to-end financial and ERP processes, such as general ledger, accounts payable, cash management, purchase orders, and procure-to-pay
- Ensured faster user adoption and maximized IT investment by using Oracle Mission Critical Support to provide managed helpdesk support for users to embrace new functionalities and resolve technical issues