Authored by Kellsey Ruppel, principal product marketing director at Oracle and Sherry Tiao, senior manager of AI and Analytics at Oracle.
Figure 1: Using Oracle Cloud for data science, Prosperdtx saves time and money in building digital healthcare plans that prevent hospitalization.
Prosper Digital Therapeutics (Prosperdtx) improves the quality of care and delivers better outcomes across integrated health networks. The company was formed during the COVID-19 pandemic with a mission to identify patient characteristics, treatment steps, and medications that correlate with or predict survival, overall cost, and healthcare resource utilization in patients with COVID-19.
These results enabled Prosper Digital Therapeutics and CareOne to develop a framework for assessing the clinical value and total cost of different care strategies. Using machine learning (ML), the company identifies common causes of hospitalization and then provides patients with care recommendations to prevent these causes.
Prosperdtx’s business model relies on building ML models, which require large amounts of training data. However, the company’s previous solutions for data management and analytics didn’t let them take in and analyze the vast amounts of data needed for data science models.
Goals for cloud migration
Prosperdtx initially explored an on-premises solution but realized it would require significant time to procure and set up the infrastructure. Prosperdtx needed artificial intelligence (AI) and ML to build various predictive models based on the data set collected from CareOne or other sources. The solution also needed the following features:
- HIPAA-compliant storage for both structured and unstructured data with quick retrieval or long-term archival
- Data science environment and ML tools
- Database with quick deployment that is scalable and autonomous
- Rapid development of Oracle APEX
- Integration with third-party applications
Why Prosperdtx chose Oracle
Prosperdtx was impressed by how quickly Oracle developed the COVID-19 Therapeutic Learning System, which was announced on April 1, 2020. Because that application was capable of consuming large amounts of patient data in a short amount of time, Prosperdtx used it as a model for its own machine learning platform.
The company chose Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Data Science to build ML models that would predict patients’ risk factors for hospitalization and then provide recommendations on how to prevent those risks. Using Autonomous Data Warehouse and Object Storage for storing data, the company was able to ingest massive amounts of patient data faster than it could before implementing OCI.
Prosperdtx chose Oracle not just for the technology, but for the service. The company views Oracle as a strategic partner that has provided robust technical support and insights from working with other healthcare customers.
“The OCI team is our partner in our endeavor. Oracle embraces our mission,” said Bob Goldberg, cofounder and CEO at Prosperdtx. “We’re moving forward not just because of them, but we’re moving forward together.”
Suite of Oracle products used
OCI includes all the services needed to migrate, build, and run IT in the cloud, from existing enterprise workloads to new cloud native applications and data platforms. Prosperdtx used the following OCI services and technologies:
- Data Science Service: OCI Data Science provides the infrastructure, open source technologies, libraries, and packages, and data science tools for data science teams to build, train, and manage ML models in OCI. The collaborative and project-driven workspace provides an end-to-end cohesive user experience and supports the life cycle of predictive models.
- Autonomous Data Warehouse: Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse is a self-driving, self-securing, self-repairing database service optimized for data warehousing workloads. You don’t need to configure or manage any hardware or install any software. OCI handles creating the database and backing up, patching, upgrading, and tuning the database.
- Oracle APEX: Oracle APEX is a low-code OCI service that offers convenient access to the Oracle APEX platform for rapidly building and deploying low-code applications. Oracle APEX provides you with an easy-to-use browser-based environment to load data, manage database objects, develop REST interfaces, and build applications which look and run great on both desktop and mobile devices.
- OCI Object Storage: OCI Object Storage enables you to securely store any type of data in its native format. Object Storage is ideal for building modern applications that require scale and flexibility, as it can be used to consolidate multiple data sources for analytics, backup, or archive purposes.
Prosperdtx needed to rapidly deploy an architecture that could securely handle large amounts of source data to build predictive models and then leverage the models in rapidly developed applications. OCI provided all the needed infrastructure and readily available solutions that could be launched with a few clicks.
Large client data files, such as SQL databases, must be securely stored and then loaded into another database for processing. The confidentiality of the data requires strong security, a high degree of reliability and durability, and quick retrieval. Prosperdtx was able to build the OCI Data Science platform on top of Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse in a short amount of time. This rapid deployment enabled Prosperdtx to create much-needed learning models for their mission-critical applications. Oracle APEX platform service helped developers start building applications relevant to the solution.
Prosperdtx plans to continue to bring in data, such as imaging records, electronic health records, and wearable device data. They're developing a direct-to-consumer platform using Oracle APEX. Data from wearable devices is directly streamed through applications to OCI, and interoperability tools available in OCI route data automatically to either OCI Object Storage or Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse. Finally, data in a data catalog is made available to research partners and academia.
Figure 2: The architecture for Prosperdtx’s deployment.
Using OCI, Prosperdtx reduced its development time for migrating data and developing machine learning models from months to weeks. The company also saved 25% in costs during the first 6 months of developing its product.
With OCI’s security-first approach, Prosperdtx helps ensure end-to-end HIPAA compliance, from data ingestion to model deployment, while saving time spent in security engineering.
For more information on Prosperdtx and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, see the following resources: