TAURON Obsługa Klienta ensures software asset compliance and optimization of license costs with Oracle.
The TAURON Group currently consists of approximately 30 related business entities. A large part of them, before joining the TAURON Group, used Oracle Database and Oracle Middleware licenses. In order to provide all Group companies with the required Oracle software licenses in connection with the planned IT consolidation, TAURON Polska Energia S.A.—the parent company of the TAURON Group—concluded an Unlimited License Agreement (ULA) with Oracle. The contract was signed between Oracle and TAURON Obsługa Klienta, which operates the Group’s Shared IT Service Center. Following the completion of the three-year term of the contract, Oracle License Management Services was entrusted with a certification audit.
“Through the excellent collaboration with Oracle License Management Services, we not only obtained a guarantee of full compliance with Oracle license terms, but also optimized the current use of Oracle software, especially in the fields of virtual environments, cluster solutions, and database options.”
- Obtain actual data on the use of Oracle licenses in the TAURON Group
- Confirm compliance of the use of the Oracle licenses with the terms of the license agreement and the provisioning of technical assistance
- Optimize the use of Oracle licenses for successfully growing the utility business
- Calculate current and future Oracle license costs required for allocating IT costs to the diverse TAURON Group companies and planning IT budgets
Having inherited a vast range of Oracle licenses across our organization, it made perfect sense to enter an Unlimited License Agreement to determine consumption and for Oracle License Management Services to audit the outcome, leading to full license compliance, and most importantly, optimization of license costs.
- Obtained full and accurate information on the actual number of Oracle licenses used across TAURON Group companies, including hundreds of databases with various options and related middleware products, by engaging Oracle License Management Services
- Gained a full, clear picture of the use of Oracle software and related licensing requirements by cooperating with Oracle License Management Services, which resulted in precise measurements of the use of Oracle licenses and ensured compliance
- Certified all Oracle licenses as required by the TAURON Group by completing the audit carried out by Oracle License Management Services
- Acquired valuable knowledge about Oracle licensing rules—especially in the field of virtual environments, cluster solutions, and database options—to support the TAURON Group’s expansion in Poland’s electricity and heat distribution market
- Enabled the company to optimize the use of licenses in environments assigned to new projects and also in existing production environments
- Decreased the license costs of Oracle software as a result of the audit, and thus the costs of providing IT systems to the TAURON Group, while also supporting the company’s efficiency improvement program
- Guaranteed that the company meets industry requirements for IT systems and databases, including legacy business applications and databases containing historical data—the availability of which is required by Polish law
- Reduced the financial, operational, and legal risks incurred by the TAURON Group by ensuring compliance with Oracle license agreements and leveraging Oracle Technical Assistance service for all Oracle products