Context allows you to make the biggest impact with your campaign by finding the best places where your message and creative are most effective.
Robust measurement gives you a 360-degree view of your campaigns to help you understand what's working, why, and what you need to optimize.
Connect with your audience in the right environment
Here’s how you can use context to improve reach, maintain relevance, and confidently reach your audience in the right environment.
- 1. Begin by ensuring that your brand is protected from harmful environments at all times by activating an always-on brand safety solution. This will keep your advertising from appearing next to negative news stories or any inflammatory articles that are commonly found on the web.
- 2. Build custom contextual segments with keywords and phrases that align with your brand or campaign so you have greater control over where your advertising is appearing online.
- 3. Use a context partner to help you automate the building and updating of custom keyword segments in real time. This will allow you to capitalize on popular trends as they unfold and appear next to new, brand-safe content as it’s published.
- 4. Optimize your campaign and get creative with your context strategy by expanding beyond the obvious environments and content that will serve your campaign. For example, a travel brand running a summer campaign may want to consider targeting content about swimsuits and fitness trends in addition to travel inspiration and tips.
Better manage, attribute, and measure your campaigns
Here’s how to create a robust measurement plan with your measurement partner.
1. Begin by aligning media measurement strategies with business objectives to track the right metrics and determine the true effectiveness of your campaigns. See the example below.
|Business Objective||Measurement strategy|
|Increase category awareness of product by 10%, and gain 5% of incremental audiences in 6 months.||
Assessed by tracking the following metrics:
2. Identify the critical criteria that will provide a detailed overview of how your campaign and ads are performing. If in doubt, consider the baseline metrics that are commonly used for display, video, and mobile ads listed here.
|Display and video||Invalid traffic %||The percentage of unfiltered impressions that were determined to be delivered to an invalid endpoint. This includes General IVT (spiders, excessive activity, and/or data center traffic categories) and sophisticated IVT (invalid proxy, automated browser, incongruous browser, invalid source, hidden ad, and/or session hijacked traffic categories).|
|In-view %||Percentage of impressions where at least 50% of an ad was in-view for at least one continuous second. If the ad is as large or larger in area than 970x250 (for example, 300x1050 or 970x418), then it only needs to have 30% of its area n-view.|
|In-view time||The average time in seconds that the ad was visible for users who met the requirement for a 2-second in-view impression.|
|Video only||Audible and visible on complete (AVOC)%||The percentage of valid impressions where the ad was visible and audible on completion.|
|Audible on...||The percentage of measurable impressions where the ad was audible on a given quartile (Start, 1st, 2nd, etc.).|
|Video score||A video ad score ranging from 0–100 to benchmark the sight, sound, and motion aspects of video. The score is based on the average percentage of the video that was audible and/or visible, amplified by the screen real estate. It is intended to assess the quality of different video ad exposures on desktop and mobile devices.|
|Visible on...||The percentage of measurable impressions where at least 50% of the ad was visible on a given quartile (Start, 1st, 2nd, etc.).|
|Mobile only||Universal touch rate||Percentage of impressions where an ad has been touched on a mobile device.|
3. Track the effectiveness of your campaigns by assessing 3 core areas:
- Media quality: Are your ads reaching the right people and are they paying attention?
- Brand safety: Are your ads being placed in the most relevant, suitable environments?
- Performance and ROI: Did your ads perform?
|Performance and ROI||
Here are 5 key questions to ask measurement providers for better outcomes
- 1. Did I reach real people with my impressions?
- 2. Did I reach people relevant to my campaign objectives, across the right channels?
- 3. Did my campaign drive the outcomes I was expecting?
- 4. How strong are your verification capabilities across brand safety, content quality, media quality, and fraud protection?
- 5. What is your methodology?