Gartner® analyzes major cloud infrastructure providers in three reports: The 2021 Gartner Solution Scorecards for Integrated infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS), the 2021 Critical Capabilities for Cloud Infrastructure and Platform Services (CIPS), and the 2021 Gartner Magic Quadrant for CIPS. I’m happy to share the following results:
- OCI scored 78% overall in 2021 Gartner Solution Scorecard for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure IaaS+PaaS, from 62% in 2020.
- Oracle’s score for required criteria grew from 74% to 90%, including scores of 100% for Compute, Storage, Networking, and Software Infrastructure, such as Database as a Service and Functions offerings.
- OCI scored better in all criteria and use cases in the 2021 Critical Capabilities for CIPS.
- Finally, we grew in both “ability to execute” and “completeness in vision” in the 2021 Gartner Magic Quadrant for CIPS.
Oracle Cloud’s focus over the past year
OCI has focused on the following concepts and succeeded in the following ways:
- Making it even easier to migrate critical enterprise workloads: OCI is designed to match or exceed on-premises I/O performance and low latency with non-blocking networks and off-box virtualization, while offering superior support for enterprise requirements like database clustering (including Oracle RAC and Exadata), VMware, compute clustering (RDMA), and tenant isolation. In the past twelve months, we announced Oracle Cloud Lift, which provides the technical expertise and white glove services to help customers move to the cloud at no extra cost. We followed with Oracle Support Rewards, which enables new OCI customers to reduce their software license costs, even down to zero.
- Expanding our breadth of resources: We made all our Compute shapes flexible, so that customers can size their processing and memory based on their needs, without having to pore over thousands of possible instance types and prices. We introduced Arm-based, burstable, and preemptible instances to save customers even more money across a range of workloads and use cases. We added more range to our storage, enabling a dozen performance levels in our block volume service and new infrequent access and immutability in our Object Storage service. Our networking services gained autoscaling in load balancing and L4 and L7 network load balancing, while we also vastly simplified network topologies by adding transit routing capabilities.
- Furthering our strong support for hybrid cloud strategies: OCI added eight more cloud regions since the last Gartner evaluation. Oracle now offers a broad and consistent set of cloud services across 30 commercial and government cloud regions in 14 countries on five continents to serve our global customer base. We also provide unique offerings to give customers cloud capabilities in their own data centers with Dedicated Region and Exadata Cloud@Customer, in remote locations with Roving Edge Infrastructure, or across OCI and Microsoft Azure.
- Building out our data platform: OCI introduced a new MySQL Database service in April 2020 and added an integrated, in-memory query acceleration engine called Heatwave a few months later. For the first time, MySQL customers have a unified platform for Online Transaction Processing (OLTP) and Online Analytics Processing (OLAP) to run mixed workloads or real-time analytics with 10–1000 times better performance at less than half the cost of alternatives.
- Introducing new autonomous services: We introduced Oracle Autonomous JSON Database to our portfolio of services that reduce the risk and cost of human error by automating database provisioning, securing, scaling, and tuning. As a proof point, Oracle Autonomous Database scored the highest in all four use cases in the 2020 Gartner Critical Capabilities for Cloud Database Management Systems for Operational Use Cases.
- Enhancing security: Our philosophy is to build in security, turning on features like encryption by default and including most security capabilities free with a customer’s use of OCI services. Our addition of capabilities like security posture analysis with Security Zones service earned us a rating of Excellent from Gartner in Security and Compliance. Enterprises like Darling Ingredients can give all their IT professionals the tools they need, without making security tradeoffs because of cost.
Want to know more?
Read the full Gartner Solution Scorecard for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. Enterprise and cloud architects can get started with OCI by browsing and deploying our catalog of over 160 reference architectures. Engineers and developers can try Oracle Cloud for free today!