Subject: SECURITY ADVISORY (CVE-2008-5462)
From: Oracle Corporation
Minor Subject: Elevation of privilege vulnerability in WebLogic Portal
Product(s) Affected: WebLogic Portal
A problem was identified that could potentially cause a security vulnerability in certain versions of WebLogic Portal. Patches are available to correct this problem (see Section II). Oracle treats potential security problems with a high degree of urgency and endeavors to take appropriate steps to help ensure the security of our customers' systems. As a result, Oracle strongly suggests the following actions:
I. Read the following advisory.
II. Apply the suggested action.
III. If you know of any additional users interested in future security advisories, please forward them the registration instructions included in this advisory.
This vulnerability in WebLogic Portal may allow elevation of privileges. This may be exploited over a network.
II. Impact and CVSS Ratings:
CVSS Severity Score: 6.8 (Medium)
Attack Range (AV): Network
Attack Complexity (AC): Medium
Authentication Level (Au): None
Impact Type:Partial confidentiality, integrity and availability violation
Vulnerability Type: Elevation of privilege
CVSS Base Score Vector: (AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:P/I:P/A:P)
Usage of CVSS by Oracle:
III. AFFECTED VERSIONSThe following versions of WebLogic Portal are affected by this vulnerability
- WebLogic Portal 10.3 GA, on all platforms
- WebLogic Portal 10.2 GA, on all platforms
- WebLogic Portal 10.0 released through Maintenance Pack 1, on all platforms
- WebLogic Portal 9.2 released through Maintenance Pack 3, on all platforms
- WebLogic Portal 8.1 released through Service Pack 6, on all platforms
IV. SUGGESTED ACTION
Oracle strongly recommends the following course of actions.
WebLogic Portal 10.3
- Use the Smart Update tool to install the 10.3 patch for CR382275.
WebLogic Portal 10.2
- Use the Smart Update tool to install the 10.2 patch for CR381205.
WebLogic Portal 10.0
- Upgrade to WebLogic Portal 10.0 Maintenance Pack 1.
- Use the Smart Update tool to install the 10.0 MP1 patch for CR382276.
WebLogic Portal 9.2
- Upgrade to WebLogic Portal 9.2 Maintenance Pack 3.
- Use the Smart Update tool to install the 9.2 MP3 patch for CR382277.
WebLogic Portal 8.1
- Upgrade to WebLogic Portal 8.1 Service Pack 6.
- Download and apply the patch #7825204 from OracleMetaLink as per the instructions below:
• Select the Patches and Updates tab after logging in to OracleMetaLink.
• Click Simple Search.
• In the Search By field, select Patch Number from the list.
• Enter the patch number. The patch number may be different for different product releases and platforms.
• Select the platform (or choose generic as applicable)
• Click Go.
• Click Download to download the patch.
Oracle strongly suggests that customers apply the remedies recommended in all our security advisories. Oracle also urges customers to apply every Service/Maintenance Pack as they are released. Service/Maintenance Packs include a roll-up of all bug fixes for each version of the product, as well as each of the prior Service/Maintenance Packs. Service/Maintenance Packs and information about them can be found at:
Note: Information about securing WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express can be found at http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs103/security.html. Specific lockdown information is provided at http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs103/lockdown/index.html. We strongly encourage you to review this documentation to ensure your server deployment is securely configured.
As a policy, if there are any security-related issues with any Oracle product, Oracle will distribute an advisory and instructions with the appropriate course of action. Because the security of your site, data, and code is our highest priority, we are committed to communicating all security-related issues clearly and openly.
All previous advisories can be viewed at: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/wls-security.
Additional users who wish to register for product advisory distribution should follow the registration directions at: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/alerts.htm.
Security issues can be reported to Oracle by following the directions at: