This tutorial covers how to create a Database Cloud Service in the Oracle Cloud.
Time to Complete
Approximately 20 minutes
The Oracle Cloud was introduced at Oracle OpenWorld in October 2011. The Oracle Cloud consists of a number of different services but all the services share some common attributes. All the services are self-service meaning that you can sign up for them through the website alone.
The cloud services are divided up into two main categories:
Application services, such as Fusion CRM or Fusion Human Capital
Management (HCM) and Platform services, such as Java Cloud
Service and Database Cloud Service.
For the Database Cloud Service, there are three main components:
- Oracle Application Express: Used to develop applications in the cloud
- RESTful Web Services: Used to access data in the cloud
- Packaged applications: Pre-built, easily installed applications for use in the Database Cloud Service.
In this tutorial, you perform the steps to sign up for a Database Cloud Service free trial.
Before starting this tutorial, you should have an Oracle.com account.
There are 6 steps in requesting, activating, and setting up a trial subscription to an Oracle Cloud Service. This OBE focuses on the first 4 steps:
- You order a free trial subscription to an Oracle Cloud service. Oracle automatically assigns you the roles of Account Administrator for the service.
Unlike a paid subscription, Oracle also assigns you the role of Service Administrator for the service, and Identity Domain Administrator as well.
- Account Administrator receives a notification email to activate the service.
- Account Administrator activates the service.
- Identity Domain Administrator manages user accounts, roles, and passwords.
- Service Administrator develops and administers the service, and assigns roles to users.
- Service Administrator provides URLs to Cloud Service users, to access their Cloud Services.
Select the Database Cloud Service
In order to request a Database Cloud Service trial, you need to select the service you want and log in to your oracle.com account. If you do not have an account, you need to create one first. Perform the following steps:
Submit Your Service Request
In this section, you enter your account information, specify the name of your Database Cloud Service and agree to the terms to submit your Database Cloud Service trial request. Perform the following steps:
Activate Your Service
In this section, you activate your trial Database Cloud Service so that you can start using it. Perform the following steps:
Log In to My Services
You are now ready to log in to My Services.
Change Your Temporary Password
The first time you log in to the Oracle Cloud, you are prompted to change your temporary password. Perform the following steps:
Launch Your Service
You are now ready to launch your Database Cloud Service. Perform the following step:
In this tutorial, you have learned how to:
- Select the Database Cloud Service
- Submit your service request
- Activate your service
- Change your service password
- Log in and launch your service
To help navigate this Oracle by Example, note the following:
- Hiding Header Buttons:
- Click the Title to hide the buttons in the header. To show the buttons again, simply click the Title again.
- Topic List Button:
- A list of all the topics. Click one of the topics to navigate to that section.
- Expand/Collapse All Topics:
- To show/hide all the detail for all the sections. By default, all topics are collapsed
- Show/Hide All Images:
- To show/hide all the screenshots. By default, all images are displayed.
- To print the content. The content currently displayed or hidden will be printed.
To navigate to a particular section in this tutorial, select the topic from the list.