Before you Begin
This tutorial shows how you can upload your virtual machines (VM) from an ESX Server using the Ravello VM Import Tool.
Time to Complete
Depends on the size of the VM that you upload.
In this tutorial, you will:
- Install the Ravello VM Import tool.
- Log in to the Ravello VM Import tool page.
- Extract and upload a VM from an ESX Server to Ravello.
What Do You Need?
- A web browser is required for working with Oracle Ravello Cloud Services.
- Before you can use Oracle Ravello Cloud Service:
- You must have ordered and activated an Oracle Ravello Cloud Service subscription.
- You must know the URL and credentials with which to log into the Oracle Ravello Cloud Service console.
Install the Ravello VM Import Tool
- Go to the VM Import Tool download page.
- Select an Operating System (OS) from the OS drop-down list.
- Install the tool according to the OS you selected.
Note: In the Windows OS, when you download the Ravello VM Import Tool, an icon will appear on the taskbar to notify you that the task is running. If the task is not running, then run the executable file from C:\Program Files (x86)\Ravello Systems\Ravello import utility\ravello_vm_import_server.exe.
Log in to the Ravello VM Import Tool page
- Log in to the Oracle Ravello Cloud Service using the URL and credentials that you received in an email from Oracle.
- Navigate to Library > VMs and click +Import VM. This opens up a VM Import Tool page.
Note: If the Import tool is not running, then run the executable file from C:\Program Files (x86)\Ravello Systems\Ravello import utility\ravello_vm_import_server.exe.
- Enter the same credentials you use to log in to Ravello.
Extract and upload a VM from an ESX Server
- In the VM Import Tool page, click . A page with upload options is displayed.
- In the Upload your VMs or Disks page, select Extract and upload VMs from vCenter, vSphere or ESX (recommended) as shown and click Next.
- Enter your ESX Server IP address or host name, and the login credentials as shown, and then click Next.
- On the Select a VM page, select a VM to extract.
- Click Upload.
The VM is added in the VM Import Tool page. The progress of the upload process is indicated for each VM.
In the Ravello console, navigate to Library > VMs to view the uploaded VM.
Want to Learn More?
- If you want to upload a single disk, multiple disks as one VM, or an ISO image, refer to Identifying and Importing the VMs and Disk Images That Make Up Your Application.
- If you are having issues in uploading VMs to Ravello, refer to the following FAQ: I cannot upload VMs to Ravello, how do I fix this issue?
- Landing Page for Oracle Ravello Cloud Service.
- Check out the Service Guide in the Oracle Help Center to know how to use Oracle Ravello Cloud Service.