This tutorial shows you how to install the Oracle Database 12c software on Microsoft Windows along with a default instance of an Oracle Database that contains example schemas ( including the HR schema).
Time to Complete
Approximately 1 hour.
The Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) is used to install the Oracle Database software. OUI is a graphical user interface utility that enables you to:
- View the Oracle software that is installed on your machine
- Install new Oracle Database software
- Delete Oracle software that is no longer required
During the installation process, OUI will start the Oracle
Database Configuration Assistant (DBCA) which can install a
precreated default database that contains example schemas or can
guide you through the process of creating and configuring a
If you do not create a database during installation, you can invoke DBCA after you have installed the software, to create one or more databases.
Hardware and Software Requirements
Before installing the software, OUI performs several automated checks to ensure that your computer fulfills the basic hardware and software requirements for an Oracle Database installation. If your computer does not meet the requirements, an error message is displayed. Some of the requirements to install the software are:
- Minimum 2 GB of physical memory
- Sufficient virtual memory (swap)
- At least 10 GB of free disk space
Before starting this tutorial, you should:
- Have access to the Oracle Database 12c distribution media,
or have an internet connection so that you can download the
- Have general knowledge of product installation
Downloading the Oracle Database Software
In this section, you will be downloading the files required to install Oracle database on a Windows environment.
Installing the Oracle Database Software
In this section, you will be installing the Oracle Database and
creating an Oracle Home User account.
Verifying the Installation
In this section, you will be performing steps to verify the
installation of Oracle Database. If you had changed the default
location to install the database, make sure to specify the
correct location of the files in the following steps.
Alternatively, you can also perform a quick search using the
Windows Start Menu to locate files.
View Oracle Services
View Oracle Home on the File
View the tnsnames.ora File
Connecting to Oracle Database Using SQL*Plus
In this section, you will be connecting to the pluggable
database using the SQL*Plus utility.
In this tutorial, you have learned how to:
- Download the Oracle database software
- Install the Oracle database software in a Windows environment
- Create a database containing example schemas
- Verify the database installation
- Connect to an Oracle instance using the SQL*Plus utility
- Unlock and query the HR schema
- An Oracle White Paper entitled Introducing the Oracle Home User in Oracle Database 12c for Microsoft Windows
- The documentation entitled Oracle®
Database Installation Guide 12c Release 1 (12.1) for
- Lead Curriculum Developer: Supriya Ananth
- Other Contributors: Christian Shay
To navigate this Oracle by Example tutorial, note the following:
- Hide Header Buttons:
- Click the title to hide the buttons in the header. To show the buttons again, click the title again.
- Topic List:
- Click a topic to navigate to that section.
- Expand All Topics:
- Click the button to show or hide the details for the sections. By default, all topics are collapsed.
- Hide All Images:
- Click the button to show or hide the screenshots. By default, all images are displayed.
- Click the button to print the content. The content that is currently displayed or hidden is printed.
To navigate to a particular section in this tutorial, select the topic from the list.