This tutorial covers how to setup information lifecycle
management policies so that less frequently accessed tables are
automatically moved to lower-cost storage.
Time to Complete
Approximately 20 minutes
You can use automatic data optimization to automate the
compression and movement of data between different tiers of
storage within the database. The functionality includes the
ability to create ILM policies that specify different
compression levels for each tier, and to control when the data
movement takes place. Automatic data optimization requires that
heat map tracking be enabled for the database instance. Also,
automatic data optimization can only be implemented in a
In this tutorial, you will create and enable an information
lifecycle management tiering policy on the SCOTT.employee table.
The policy uses automatic data optimization to move a table to
another tablespace when the tablespace where the table resides
on is less than 95% free.
Before starting this tutorial, you should:
- Ensure that you have enough disk space to create additional
- Oracle Database 12c should be installed.
The environment used in the development of this tutorial is as follows:
- ORACLE_HOME: /u01/app/oracle/product/12.1.0
- TNS Listener port: 1521
- Container databases:
- SID: cdb1
- SID: cdb2
- Pluggable databases (in cdb1):
- Non-CDB SID: noncdb
Creating Tablespaces, Enabling Accounts, and Enabling Heat Map
Creating and Updating a Table in the ILMTBS Tablespace
Verifying Heat Map Tracking Collected Statistics for the
Creating a Storage Tiering Policy on the Table
Triggering the Table to Move to Low Cost Storage
Resetting Your Environment
Perform the following steps to reset your environment prior to repeating the activities covered in this OBE or starting another OBE.
In this tutorial, you have learned how to:
- Enable heat map tracking statistics
- View heat map statistics
- Create storage tiering policies
- Triggering the storage tiering policy and verifying the
automatic optimization of data storage
- To learn more about Oracle Database 12c refer to additional OBEs in the Oracle Learning Library.
- Lead Curriculum Developer: Dominique Jeunot, Jean-Francois
- Other Contributors: ILM PM Team
To help navigate this Oracle by Example, note the following:
- Hiding Header Buttons:
- Click the Title to hide the buttons in the header. To show the buttons again, simply click the Title again.
- Topic List Button:
- A list of all the topics. Click one of the topics to navigate to that section.
- Expand/Collapse All Topics:
- To show/hide all the detail for all the sections. By default, all topics are collapsed
- Show/Hide All Images:
- To show/hide all the screenshots. By default, all images are displayed.
- To print the content. The content currently displayed or hidden will be printed.
To navigate to a particular section in this tutorial, select the topic from the list.