This tutorial covers how to enhance the application you built in part 1. You will examine how to create and switch to a different theme, add a chart, dynamic actions and plugins and create and manipulate a tabular form.
Time to Complete
Approximately 60 minutes
Oracle Application Express (Oracle APEX) is a rapid web application development tool for the Oracle database. Using only a web browser and limited programming experience, you can develop and deploy professional applications that are both fast and secure. Oracle APEX is a fully supported, no cost option of the Oracle database.
In this tutorial, you use Oracle APEX Release 4.1.1 to refine the application you built in part 1 of this workshop.
Before starting this tutorial, you should:
- Have access to an Oracle Database 11g database that has the sample schema installed.
- Have installed Application Express Release 4.1.1 into your Oracle Database 11g database.
- Created a workspace called HR that is based off the HR schema with the admin username of HR and a password of oracle.
- Performed the Building an Application using Oracle Application Express: Part 1 tutorial or import the f100.sql application which contains the application that was created in this tutorial..
- Downloaded and unzipped the files.zip into your working directory.
Creating and Switching to a Different Theme
In this topic, you create a different theme and then switch to the new theme to make it the current theme.
Creating a Chart
In this topic, you create a 2D pie chart that shows the number of tasks per project. Then, you convert this 2D pie chart into a 3D pie chart and make a couple of display settng changes.
Enabling/Disabling Page Items Using a Dynamic Action
In this topic, you create a dynamic action to enable the commission percentage item if the job is a sales job. If it is not a sales job, the commission percentage item will be disabled.
Showing/Hiding Regions Using a Dynamic Action
In this topic, you create a region with page items and then create a dynamic action to only show the region if the commission percentage is not null.
Calculating and Displaying a Page Items Value Using a Dynamic Action
In this topic, you create a dynamic action that shows the Sales Bonus when the Sales Amount is not null or changes.
Importing and Using a Plug-In
Plug-Ins allow for the Application Express framework to be readily extended with custom item types, region types, application processes and Dynamic Actions. Once defined, plug-in based components are created and maintained very much like standard Application Express components. Plug-ins enable developers to create highly customized components to enhance the functionality, appearance and user friendliness of their applications.
In this topic, you import the slider plug-in and then use it for the Salary page item in your form.
Creating a Tabular Form
In this topic, you create a tabular form on the DEPARTMENTS table.
Adding a Tabular Form Validation
In this topic, you add a validation to your tabular form that checks to make sure that a manager is only assigned to one department.
In this tutorial, you have learned how to:
- Create and switch to a different theme
- Create a chart
- Enable/Disable page items using a dynamic action
- Show/Hide regions using a dynamic action
- Calculate and display a page item value using a dynamic action
- Import and use a plug-in
- Create a tabular form
- Add a tabular form validation
To help navigate this Oracle by Example, note the following:
- Hiding Header Buttons:
- Click the Title to hide the buttons in the header. To show the buttons again, simply click the Title again.
- Topic List Button:
- A list of all the topics. Click one of the topics to navigate to that section.
- Expand/Collapse All Topics:
- To show/hide all the detail for all the sections. By default, all topics are collapsed
- Show/Hide All Images:
- To show/hide all the screenshots. By default, all images are displayed.
- To print the content. The content currently displayed or hidden will be printed.
To navigate to a particular section in this tutorial, select the topic from the list.