Before You Begin
This Oracle By Example (OBE) lab shows you how to create an Instance of Oracle MySQL Cloud Service.
With Oracle MySQL Cloud Service, you can deploy MySQL servers to the cloud, with each deployment containing a single MySQL server. You have full access to the features and operations available with a MySQL server. To simplify maintenance and management operations, Oracle provides the computing power, physical storage, and tooling.
When you create an instance of Oracle MySQL Cloud Service, you must associate a Secure Shell (SSH) public key with the compute infrastructure supporting the deployment. When you use an SSH client to connect to the instance, you must provide the private key that matches the public key.
What Do You Need?
- An Oracle Cloud account
- PuTTY (Windows users)
Create an SSH Key Pair
- Open a command-line window (or terminal in Linux).
- Generate the SSH key pair:
ssh-keygen -t rsa -N "passphrase" -b "2048" -C "key comment" -f path/root_name
The following table explains the arguments:
Use the RSA algorithm.
Passphrase to protect the use of the key (like a password). If you don't want to set a passphrase, don't enter anything between the quotation marks.
Note: Although a passphrase isn't required, you should specify one as a security measure to protect the private key from unauthorized use.
Generate a 2048-bit key (default). A minimum of 2048 bits is recommended for SSH-2 RSA.
-C "key comment"
A name to identify the key.
The location where the key pair is saved and the root name for the files. For example, if you make
id_rsathe root name, then the name of the private key is
id_rsa,and the name of the public is
Create an Instance of Oracle MySQL Cloud Service
- Log in to your Oracle Cloud account. Enter your account credentials in the Identity Domain, User Name, and Password fields.
- Click the Action Menu and select Open Service Console.
- Click Create Service.
- Enter or select the following information, and then click Next:
- Service Name:
- Service Description (optional)
- Metering Frequency: Hourly
- Service Name:
Enter or select the following information, and then click Next:
- Compute Shape: OC3-1.0 OCPU, 7.5GB RAM
- SSH Public Key (Enter the public key that you generated in the previous section.)
- Usable Database Storage(GB):
- Administration User:
- Administration Password
- Confirm Administration Password
- Database Schema Name:
- Server Character Set: utf8mb4 - UTF-8 Unicode
- Configure MySQL Enterprise Monitor: No
- Backup Destination: None
- Review the details of your instance and then click Create.
- Wait until the instance is created.
Want to Learn More?
- Using Oracle MySQL Cloud Service in the Oracle Help Center
- Deploying a PHP Application to Oracle Application Container Cloud Service OBE