This tutorial covers how to build an application, load data and run the application using Oracle Application Express.
Time to Complete
Approximately 60 minutes
Oracle Application Express (Oracle APEX) is a rapid web application development tool for the Oracle database. Using only a web browser and limited programming experience, you can develop and deploy professional applications that are both fast and secure. Oracle APEX is a fully supported, no cost option of the Oracle database.
In this tutorial, you use Oracle APEX Release 4.1.1 to build an application that contains a variety of pages.
Before starting this tutorial, you should:
- Have access to an Oracle Database 11g database that has the sample schema installed.
- Have installed Application Express Release 4.1.1 into your Oracle Database 11g database.
- Created a workspace called HR that is based off the HR schema with the admin username of HR and a password of oracle.
- Performed the Testing and Debugging Procedures using SQL Developer tutorial.
- Downloaded and unzipped the files.zip into your working directory.
Using Data Workshop to Load Data into a Table
In this topic, you load data into the projects table
Creating a Database Application Using the Application Wizard
In this topic, you create a database application using the application wizard. You will create a series of pages, these include, a Form on the EMPLOYEES Table with an Interactive Report, a Master Detail Form on the PROJECTS and TASKS table.
Modifying an Interactive Report
In this topic, you modify the Employee Report by and changing query to show the name of the manager instead of the Manager ID, and changing the format of the SALARY column.
Creating and Manipulating Data in a Calendar
In this topic, you create a calendar with an edit calendar popup that shows the PROJECT_END_DATE for each Project. You change the end date to see how it moves the project link in the calendar.
Adding a Data Upload Wizard
In this topic, you create a series of wizard pages to upload data into the TASKS table.
Creating and Applying List of Values (LOVs)
In this topic, you customize some of the page items to show a list of values (LOVs). You create an LOV on the MANAGER_ID page item and then convert it to a Shared LOV. In addition, you create a Shared LOV to show a list of jobs and then associate the LOV with the JOB_ID page item.
In this topic, you create two validations on the Employees page. The first validation checks to make sure the Manager doesn't report to him/her self. The second validation checks to make sure the hire date is less than todays date.
In this tutorial, you have learned how to:
- Use Data Workshop to load data into a table
- Create a database application using the application wizard
- Modify an interactive report
- Create and manipulate data in a calendar
- Add a data upload wizard
- Create and apply a list of values
- Create a validation
To help navigate this Oracle by Example, note the following:
- Hiding Header Buttons:
- Click the Title to hide the buttons in the header. To show the buttons again, simply click the Title again.
- Topic List Button:
- A list of all the topics. Click one of the topics to navigate to that section.
- Expand/Collapse All Topics:
- To show/hide all the detail for all the sections. By default, all topics are collapsed
- Show/Hide All Images:
- To show/hide all the screenshots. By default, all images are displayed.
- To print the content. The content currently displayed or hidden will be printed.
To navigate to a particular section in this tutorial, select the topic from the list.