The Activity Feedpattern displays information updates on a list, this may include activities, news, status updates, etc... The latest items are usually at the top. This is a common pattern for phone, but can be used for the tablet.
Appearance characteristics for this component.
- Orientation: Only vertical orientation is used.
- Subject: Displays the subject or name of the item that is being displayed.
- Description: Displays a description of what the item is about.
- Time/Date Stamp: Displays the time and/or date stamp of the item. Sometime displayed as how many minutes, hours or days since post.
- Owner/Source: Displays the source the item comes from. This may be be the owner or author.
- Photo/Video: Photos, images or videos may be associated to the update. Usually displayed below the description.
- Location: Small geographic maps maybe associated to the update. Usually displayed below the description.
- Tags: User defined or selected tags can be associated with the activity.
- Actions: User may need to reply, flag, like, delete activities in the activity feed. These can be shown on swipe of a list item.
- Filter: Sometimes a filter maybe used to limit the activities in the activity feed.
- Search: Place search field above the list, when searching the activity feed.
Common behaviors for this component.
- Drill-Down: Tap a list item to drill-down or popup details about that item.
- Pull To Refresh: Touch and drag the list down from the top to refresh the list with new items.
- Item Order: Typically display the most recent update at the top of the list. Reverse order can be selected also.
- Grouping: Some activities may be grouped (i.e. by user, by date, by tag or category, etc...).
- Swipe Left/Swipe Right: Swiping left (or right) may show contextual actions associated with a list item. This could include reply, flag, like, delete or other actions.
- New Activities: Indicators might display when new items become available, for example '3 New Items'.
- Search: Searching the feed will usually show matching feed items in the results.
Usage guidelines for this component.
- Provide methods to filter and/or search your feed. Filter option could include by date, tag, user, type, etc...
- Fetch enough items to provide enough details, but avoid fetching too many items that it takes too long to load.