Recognizes financial planning and analysis professionals who leverage analytics to test business models and strengthen business impact.
Michael Baker International—David Dawson, Vice President and Director of Business Intelligence
David Dawson, vice president and director of business intelligence for Michael Baker International (MBI), fearlessly embraced Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service to create a solution that revolutionized MBI’s planning process, connecting the executive vision for growth with the information needed to guide strategic planning. Dawson recognized an opportunity to redefine financial planning by leveraging Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service, which analyzes detailed workforce, project, and expense data.
As an engineering firm, MBI’s budget is determined on a project basis. At any given point, the firm has approximately 6,000 active projects across the US, with another 2,000 potential projects in the pipeline. The organization’s aging planning system—a combination of Adaptive Insights and Excel templates—could not provide the level of analysis needed. The redesigned solution uses individual employee and project data to analyze revenue and expenses for current, upcoming, and future projects, as well as MBI’s capacity to deliver the resources needed. By integrating the data from the project management, CRM, timekeeping, and expense systems, Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service provides insight that directs operational decisions such as regional capacity, forecasting, and flexing nonbillable resources.
Having just completed its first budget with Oracle Planning and Budgeting Cloud, MBI has seen the following business improvements:
- 17-day reduction in the amount of time spent completing the budget (51 days in 2017 to 34 in 2018)
- Reduction in the budget preparation time, from six weeks to one week
- Real-time project portfolio information—updates projects every night with information from source system—has eliminated the need for 700-plus project managers to provide estimates during the budgeting process
- Visibility into how the original budget was submitted by the operational staff and the adjustments recommended by the executive team (separately and combined)
- Streamlined creation and maintenance of reports and ad hoc analyses with Reporting Web Studio and Smart View tools